One thing I have learned in my work every day working with people who have cancer is that nutrition is key!! Our food has changed quite a bit in the last 40 years, there are many more chemicals sprayed onto the agricultural crops and these chemicals or pesticides are getting into our bodies and our kids bodies where they are creating a variety of disorders and or diseases.
- Diet for good health. Try to eat organic fruits, vegetables and whole grains as much as possible to avoid the chemicals that are sometimes added which can affect health of small bodies especially our kids bodies.
- Colorful veggies: broccoli, spinach, kale, brussel sprouts, zucchini, beets, butternut squash, carrots, yams, and cauliflower
- Colorful fruits: blueberries, watermelon, kiwi, mango, papaya, oranges, grapefruit, avocado, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries,
- 1/4 whole grains: oatmeal, brown rice, wheat, quinoa, barley, bulgar wheat rather than white flour
- 1/4 protein: fish, eggs, lean meat, beans (black beans, kidney beans, cannelloni beans, lentils, nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, seeds-flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds), glass of low fat milk or cup of low fat yogurt, good oils (organic olive oil and organic canola oil)
- Avoid processed foods and reduce use of sugar and salt
- Drink lots of water (rather than juice) to stay hydrated
- Create a healthful environment for food at home-Go thru your pantry or shelves and purge anything that isn’t healthy.
- Once a week ask your kids to help Plan the meal-Here is one recipe that my daughter created that we have found to be a family favorite!!!
Amazing Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza
Preheat Oven to 350
1 Cup shredded cauliflower
¾ Cup shredded mozzarella
1 Tbsp flax seeds
1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
Red pepper/green pepper
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp chopped fresh garlic
Shred cauliflower in Food Processor
In medium bowl, Microwave cauliflower for 8 minutes
Shred part skim mozzarella cheese in Food Processor;
Mix ½ c cheese into cauliflower
Combine flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and mix into cauliflower
Hand beat egg and mix into ingredients, form into ball.
Oil pizza pan, place flourless dough into center of pan and press crust out to form dough
Bake in oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes
Top with tomato sauce, ¼ c mozzarella and remaining ingredients and/or add your favorite veggies
Bake in oven 10-15 more minutes
Viola! Guiltless pizza!